So, how can women who write poetry raise their public profile? Would you accept publication in an anthology of ‘women poets’?
- positive discrimination is still needed.
- women’s poetry is seen as less serious and tends to be left out.
- women fail to network as well as men .
- women still tend to minimise their own achievements.
- women still lack confidence in their own abilities.
- the work should stand on its own merits as good poetry.Gender is irrelevant. Quality is the thing.
- positive discrimination is another way of ghettoising women so that their poetry doesn't become mainstream.
- separate anthologies imply that women’s interests differ from men’s.
- we should be fighting for equal representation in the anthologies that are being made. (Although, aren't quotas just positive discrimination with a different hat?)
Any thoughts about this?